So first things first, what is the cloud?
Well clouds are mostly water vapor with some pollutants such as dust. Doesn’t sound very IT does it, doesn’t even sound that nice to be honest but of course every cloud has a silver lining (sorry).
In IT, “The Cloud” refers to the amorphous blob that is the internet. In the dim and distant past Network Architects came up with symbols for various things such servers, routers and firewalls. They also came up with a symbol for the internet, a fluffy cloud.
As in the picture above, anyone talking about cloud hosting means that you are connecting your device to the internet and then a remote server delivers the content to you. This server can be located anywhere in the world.
Almost everything can now be hosted in the cloud, your applications don’t even need to be “web enabled”.
Microsoft has developed the world’s leading cloud service and it is called Azure.
Business Central is a piece of software that is hosted in the cloud i.e. on a Microsoft Azure server, and its looked after by Microsoft. This means that you don’t need to worry about the IT side of your business software at all!
Whether you’ve just started your business or you are part of a huge company, the cloud makes no distinction. Everyone gets the benefits.
40% of Azure users are start-ups and small businesses, whilst 57% of the Fortune 500 companies use and trust Azure.
So why would you want to use the cloud?
Well there are a lot of benefits to not owning your own hardware, such as:
- Obsolescence: IT hardware doesn’t last very long before it needs replacing, in the cloud you get the latest equipment.
- The rented machines will always be correct for your needs, as the performance is based on your requirements. If they change, then you simply pay a little more per month and the performance increases. simple.
- You don’t need an IT department or pay IT support to swap a broken hard drive; you will never know if the cloud hardware breaks as it has automated systems to swap you to another copy.
- It’s replicated on three different servers and has an SLA (service level agreement) up time of 99.5%. You will never lose data.
- It’s digitally backed up so can be restored much faster (not like old style tape).
- It’s housed in a purpose built, air conditioned and bomb (and everything else) proof building.
- It’s run by Microsoft hosting and security specialists; so its much more secure than onsite servers.
- It’s a lot cheaper! Work out what you pay for your IT, staff, break downs, power consumption, security etc. You’ll be surprised at the high total.
- You can create an environment, work on it for a few days and then stop it. Only pay for what you use, when you use it.
All this comes for just a simple monthly cost, that you can put into your budgets with no surprises.
Don’t get left behind, cloud use is increasing exponentially, reap all of the benefits now.
If you want to make your IT simpler, more robust and with a predictable spend, then give us a call and we can show you the cloud. Call 01905 571010 or Contact us